Lip Augmentation (Lip Enhancement)
Naples Plastic Surgery
At Gardner Plastic Surgery lip augmentation can be natural, with fat; or synthetic, with injectable fillers. This should plump the lips for a year and sometimes several. Lip implants are designed to offer a more permanent solution.
Lip Augmentation in Naples
Dr. Gardner treats many women in Naples for lip enhancement for the following reasons:
- Your lips are naturally thin and may disappear when smiling
- Your lips become thinner from the aging process
- Self-consciousness about your lips or smile
- If having fuller and plump lips will balance out your facial characteristics
Certain types of lip augmentation are temporary, like injectable fillers, and can be modified to your exact specifications or preference. In addition to temporary solutions, lip implants offer a permanent solution, can be done under local anesthetic in the office, and only takes a week to recover. Lip injections are also done in the office, and Dr. Gardner provides a dental block to allow painless lip plumping. Recovery is a few hours but bruising can last up to a week.
The Lip Enhancement Procedure
There are several different types of ways to augment to lips. Dr. Gardner may offer you different options depending on your preference and goals.
- Fat Transfer - With this procedure, extra fat can be taken from elsewhere on the body and injected into your lips.
- Fillers - Lip fillers derived from natural or synthetic material acts as a fat substitute to plump lips.
- Dermal Graft - This may be among the most permanent methods of lip augmentation. The lip is surgically advanced forward and a dermal fat graft is positioned under the lining of the lip to add additional plumpness.
- Vermillion Advancement - This lip enhancement procedure involved an incision on the border of the colored portion of your lips. A strip of skin is removed from the outside of the border and the colored portion is pulled out to increase the area of the lips.
- Lip Implants - Lip implants are a popular method of enhancement. The implants are inserted through tiny incisions in the corners of the mouth. With many options available like synthetic or natural, Dr. Gardner and the patient will decide together which option best suits the desired result.
- Lip Lift - This procedure takes place by removing extra skin and lifting the lips. This method of lip augmentation is effective for people with downward sloping mouths. To increase the lift on the upper lip, an incision is made below the nose and the skin is shortened to pull the lips vertically.
Recovering from Lip Augmentation
The downtime from nonsurgical options like filler injections is minimal, you may however, experience some slight bruising or swelling which diminishes over time. The downtime from surgical lip augmentation may involve bruising and swelling with mild discomfort for a few days. Dr. Gardner will provide you post-care instructions regarding your procedure.